Peta Shulman is the founder of the GoodnessMe Box, a monthly subscription that delivers wholesome and healthy products to your door. Her idea sprang from her own health journey learning to manage an auto-immune condition. What evolved was a total overhaul of her lifestyle and a deep understanding of how food effects our bodies. Soon enough her new business was born which is more than just introducing people to exciting health brands but is also about inspiring and empowering people to look after their own health. Below she tells her story and offers us some suggestions on what can help us all live healthier lives.
Share your journey with us. In 2012 you found out you had an auto-immune condition how did this effect the way you viewed healthy living?
It was summer and yet again I caught another cold. I must have racked up nine or ten colds in 1 year. After years facing the same health issues I was exhausted and frustrated! I begged my doctor to send me to a specialist. I was adamant this was not something that could be fixed with another antibiotic. The specialist diagnosed me with an auto-immune condition resulting in a very weak immune system, hence the persistent fatigue and flus.
I decided to take a different approach to healthy living and be consistently mindful about the foods I was eating. I sought an integrated doctor who after some tests immediately changed my diet. I cut out gluten, dairy and refined sugar. I soon discovered that our gut health is intrinsically linked to our immune system. Eating this way, by eliminating inflammatory foods and eating whole nutrient-dense foods full of good fats, protein, vitamins and minerals, helped to boost my immune system.
I became acutely aware that when I feed my body refined and processed foods, my body does not feel at its best and it impacts my immune system.
Nearly 3 years on, since making positive changes to my diet, Ive completely overhauled my health and Ill never look back!
You are the founder of Goodness Me Box what first inspired you to start a health food box?
Living with my close friend, a nutritionist, really cemented the idea of GoodnessMe Box. We would share and talk about health food daily and loved the idea of healthy goodies being delivered to our doors each month almost like a monthly gift to ourselves! After much research and planning I discovered this concept had been successful overseas. I decided there was no reason it wouldnt work in Australia. I was working, for a number of years, in PR across an array of cutting-edge health brands and was acutely aware the health industry was on the cusp of booming.
Starting a business takes a huge amount of time, energy and personal sacrifice. I have no doubt that if I had not taken charge of my health, I would not have had the stamina to start and continue GoodnessMe Box.
I created GoodnessMe Box to get people excited about eating clean, nourishing the body with pure wholefoods and being a part of what I like to call the wellness revolution.
When youre not working on the growing GoodnessMe Box business what other things do you love doing?
My latest obsession is meditation podcasts or audio books. It really helps you to unplug and unwind after a long day at work. I am an early-morning riser and enjoy being outdoors and walking along the bay or to the beach before work. I try and exercise a few times a week whether it be Pilates or some kind of resistance training.
Im lucky to have a group of friends that share a love of food. Nothing beats exploring new restaurants together, going to the farmers markets on a Sunday or dinner parties.
What are some of your daily healthy habits?
- Sleep is a priority for me. Sleep is absolutely critical to my overall health and wellness. My body is susceptible to getting run down easily. I find if I take the time to replenish and recharge it makes all the difference in the world. I know with 8 hours sleep I function at my best.
- I have had benefits from a small mug of bone broth which has become a morning routine. With 70% of your immune system located in your gut, it is super important to look after your digestive system.
- Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and I ensure I never skip this meal. I also like to have a hearty salad at lunch to ensure I get my veg intake.
- In the morning and night I take a probiotic and zinc.
What are a few of the easiest changes people could make in their lives to improve their overall health?
Some small but effective changes include:
- Go to bed by 10pm: Youll be surprised how much you can achieve when you are an early riser!
- Take the time to read food labels when shopping: If you dont understand the ingredients you should probably make another choice.
- Eat real foods made from natural and GMO-free ingredients: Avoid any artificial sweeteners, artificial preservatives, food additives, synthetic trans fats, artificial flavours, artificial colours, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), and High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).
- Be prepared: Stock your fridge and pantry with beautiful fresh produce, ingredients and healthy wholefood snacks. Life is busy and planning ahead makes a difference.
What advice would you give to your younger self?
I would tell my younger self to listen to my body. For a number of years I knew something wasnt right with my health but I continued to accept it as my normal. Only you know what makes your body feel good.
Whats next in store for you on your life journey and for GoodnessMe Box?
We have some big plans for GoodnessMe Box. On November 11th we are holding the first GoodnessMe Box Wholefood Night Markets at The Grounds of Alexandria, one of Sydneys most sought-after restaurant venues. The evening puts a new health spin on a night out, a fun evening with celebrity authors and cooks, food shopping, tastings, organic wine and juice bar. The event has been designed to celebrate the health & wholefood industry in a fun and inspiring atmosphere. We want to empower people to take control of their health and above all, to be excited about it!
Im excited for whats around the corner in 2016. We released our new decadent dessert e-book with hopefully more to come, are set to launch a special edition Kids Box in January 2016 and I have recently been on an inspiring trip overseas but it is a little too soon to reveal plans!
If you would like to be part of the first GoodnessMe Box Wholefood Markets next Wednesday night, 11th November 2015 then buy your tickets HEREbefore they sell out!
Like what you see? Peta and the lovely GoodnessMe Box team are giving you a special 20% discount on your first GoodnessMe Box. Simply use the code ROSEHIP when checking out.